Tuesday, October 25, 2011

HELP! Had to a 100% Water Change, need to recycle the tank?

Hello. I've had a 10 gallon tank with my goldfish in it for about a month or two. Just recently, I had finnaly completed cycling of my tank. The ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were at constant great levels. Until, my cousin put a HANDFULL of goldfish flakes in the tank. In order to clean the water since all of that food would inevitably rot and/or the fish would eat it's self to death, we did a emergency 100% water change. But now, I've got a uncycled tank. Since the filter cartridge on my Top Fin 10 is getting old, we just washed it recently, I've decided I was going to get the fish a bio wheel but since we have to recycle the tank now anyways now I'm defiantly going to get it. So my question is, did I lose all of my bacteria? The ornaments were also washed as well as the filter. They were not washed with soap of course by the way. How long will it take to recycle the tank and what should I get to help speed up the process?HELP! Had to a 100% Water Change, need to recycle the tank?You can check if you are still cycled. Test the water for ammonia, if you have any you are going through a mini cycle, if it is still 0 you kept the bacteria. Much of it is in the gravel, and as long as you didn't rinse it, you should be fairly OK. Test to be sure.

If you have fish or are adding ammonia, and the tank is not cycled, you should get a reading.HELP! Had to a 100% Water Change, need to recycle the tank?Although the gravel and ornaments do contain beneficial bacteria, it really depends what you washed the filter in. If you washed it in tap water, then yes, you will need to re cycle the tank. If you washed it in old tank water, as you always should, then it'll probably be ok, just do more frequent water changes for a few months in case of ammonia spikes.



In the case of a full recycle, there isn't much you can do to speed it up, just monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do water changes once or twice a week. Without fish the process would be faster, but you can't expose the goldfish to the toxic levels of ammonia needed to cycle faster.
  • migrating existing portal
  • healthy hair
  •