Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Just finished a water change...?

.. my first since getting my platys last Wednesday. I done 20%, and cleaned my gravel and filter too. All seems fine, the platys are happily nibbling everything and seem fine.. and...

EVERY single one of them is doing the biggest poop I have ever seen....!!!



The little buggers, I just get their tank nice and clean, and they poop in it as soon as I've finished...!!!



One question though - if my water tests are fine by the weekend, can I have a new fish put in? I'd like one male Betta..

I've had the platys a week, the tanks water results have been steady for 3 weeks now (my cycling process seems to have been helped along because this tank had other fish in it recently) ....so how long should I wait?Just finished a water change...?Wait until you have seen a small spike in the ammonia and it is gone. That's when you know the bio filter has adjusted to the new load. Odds are very good this will have happened by Friday if you added the fish to a cycled tank. Without testing, I would suggest it should be safe, but would encourage you to test for ammonia before buying any new fish.



MMJust finished a water change...?Ideally you should wait a couple of weeks but a single male betta will not add much waste to the bioload so if you absolutely can't wait, or see a unique one you really like it should be fine.Just finished a water change...?I would wait a few days after getting the okay on the water results, then put the betta in. And I'm sure you know about putting the fish in and such. So I won't need to explain.



And yes, they will poop. But the filter should help keep it clean between water changes.



Just remember, only 1 inch of fish per gallon. Happy fish keeping. :)Just finished a water change...?i know i've seen tanks with a male betta in with other fish...but i had a pair of tetras for about a year, and decided to add a male betta...he ate the fins off my tetras within a day %26amp; they died... :(Just finished a water change...?You can't mix beta fish with other fish! I had a female beta in a tank once mixed with huge goldfish and she didn't attack them but a male will for sure. Do not mix beta fish with other fish there fighting fish.Just finished a water change...?you could probably get a Betta in with it it all depends on the tank size if its under 20gallon i dont think you would want to put a Betta in with because of the small space but if the tank is 55gallon or more then you would be fineJust finished a water change...?A single Betta shouldn't make too much difference to your chem levels. But watch for spikes as had been said.



Watch who else you add later though as some fish are fin nippers!Just finished a water change...?you should be just fine with a beta in it, since platys don't have long fins.

Junst keep in mind that you don't put 2 betas in your tank, cause they will kill each other, and if you have a big tank and you want to add more fish, none with long fins

good luck
  • artificial toe nails
  • database
  •