Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?

I have a Betta fish and just got him a new tank so that he wouldn't have to stay in a bowl or vase. It is a one gallon (3.7 liters) tank with an air pump and filter plate for the undergravel filter system. He seemed happy when I put him in it after temporarily being in a vase. I understand that bettas need water changes twice a week, but I don't know how much water to change! A percentage or actual amount would work fine. Thanks



Oh, and do I have to clean the filter plate? If so, how?How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?In a tank that small it is really difficult to maintain a %26quot;cycle%26quot; in a %26quot;cycled%26quot; tank a large population of beneficial bacteria grow in the filter and help to remove wastes from the water by converting them into less toxic substances. I honestly wouldn't bother with an underground filter in a tank that size, as smaller tanks need BIG water changes, which means that the bacteria will be killed off every time you change the water...which means that the filtration is pretty much useless.



The frequency and amount of water changes you need to perform in a tank varies on what they are stocked with. Bettas no not necessarily need just %26quot;two water changes a week' for example, this is my water-change schedule for my bettas



1) 20gallon tank with 13 adult females

-25% water change every 5 days



2) Divided 5 gallon with 2 adult males

-20% water change once a week



3) 2.5g tank with 1 adult male

-20% water change every 5 days



4) 0.5g grow-out tanks with younger males

-50% water change every 5 days



In your situation I would probably change either change 20% of the water twice a week, or perform a larger 50% water change once a week. buy a cheap test-kit, and see what your levels of wastes are like with different water-change schedules. Find something that keeps waste levels at a minimum and don't skimp off--especially in a smaller tankHow much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?Change all of the water at least once a week. Also, please join ultimatebettas.com for some tips for taking care of him. There's a lot of betta experts there.



It's great to see someone who actually knows they need waterchanges!How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?I think you're supposed to change half of the tank if you have an air pump.How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?well i work at a petsmart. and we usually change about 25% of the water 2 times a week and then change all of the water every other week.

bettas are pretty tolerant of things not like other fish.How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?You have to upgrade the tank. Bettas deserve a minimum of 2.5 gallons, and 1 gallon isn't really enough for them. In the wild, they live in huge rice paddies such as these: http://www.cultureshocktherapy.com/pic/i

So they should be in a filtered, heated tank (because the temperature in the wild is hot year-round). Also, an undergravel filter doesn't provide any mechanical or chemical filtration, both of which a Betta needs.



When you do upgrade the tank, you should change 25% of the water weekly using a gravel siphon: http://www.fishlesscycling.com/articles/

http://www.fishlesscycling.com/articles/



E-mail me for any questions!How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?The water has to be changed 100% atleast once a week and every 5 days is better. The undergravel filter is pretty much crap and that size tank is not able to maintaint a cycle and it just keeps the poop at the bottom...it wont do much for water quality AT ALL, even though the aeration of the bubbler might help. I suggest you add a coupld of live plants to help with water quality.



the betta should stay healthy with the weekly water changes and manage to keep the water warm somehow (like put it in a room where it isnt cold)How much of the water do I change in my Betta's fish tank?I have a Betta in a 3 gallon tank and I change the water every 2 to 3 weeks, only changeing 3/4 of the water, and adding a little salt and water conditioner.