Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How long would it take for the Biological filter to be fully activated with water temp around 60 F?

I have a new pond for around 3 months. I know that I accidentally destroyed all the beneficial bacteria once in my biological filter about a month ago. With the water temperature staying pretty much at 60 F, how much longer will my biological filter start fully functioning with sufficient bacteria colonized? I am using 3 x 60 gallon rubber barrels with plenty of media and have already added half gallon of the Microbe BL bacteria. I am facing a continuous ammonia spike, current standing at 5 ppm despite that fact that I do a 1/4 water change every other day. Thanks!How long would it take for the Biological filter to be fully activated with water temp around 60 F?Probably longer than if you had a way to heat it.Some people say,in fish tanks at least,that if you keep the temperature higher,that it helps speed up the whole process.I don't know if it' true or not,but the whole cycle can take from 2 weeks to 2 months.

Why are you doing water changes?If you already have fish,then you should,but the water changes will also slow down the cycling time.If you don't have fish stop with the water changes.

Good Luck,Have Fun!How long would it take for the Biological filter to be fully activated with water temp around 60 F?I have not the faintest ideaHow long would it take for the Biological filter to be fully activated with water temp around 60 F?Throw in some Bio-Spira. That's what I use when I've gotten stalled and I've had great luck with it. You'll find some on here who don't like it, saying that it's not reliable and that can be true, so you need to buy it from a reliable fish store that keeps fresh stock and well-refrigerated. Good luck!



EDIT: Sorry! I really need to read better! You've already added bacteria. How long ago? It takes about a week for any change to kick in. Do you have fish in the pond? If you do, you don't really have a choice about doing water changes, but if you don't, stop doing water changes because you're removing a little of your bacteria when you do.How long would it take for the Biological filter to be fully activated with water temp around 60 F?No idea but one question...



Why do ponds you buy or the ones in your back yard are SUPER DELICATE but the ones farmers (like me) use have fish and they never have problems.. even if you put bad chems in the water?