Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How often should I change the filter cartridge, and why won't my light work?

I'm going to the store sometime soon to get more filter cartridges and a gravel siphon. It's a 5 gallon tank with a single Betta in it and I expect I'll be changing some of the water and using the siphon about once a week. How frequently will the cartridges need to be changed?



And now about the light. We had some difficulties with it at first but after a day we got it working. Now it hasn't been working again for two days or so. The bulb's been in for about a week. It's plugged in directly to the outlet while the filter and heater are on this extension (that then is plugged into the same outlet). What could be the problem? It came with the tank by the way. How often should I change the filter cartridge, and why won't my light work?Don't change the cartridges/filter media. You'll be throwing away all the tank's good bacteria and throw the tank into an ammonia spike. The only time these cartridges need to be replaced is if there's been a nasty outbreak of something killing everything or if you're restarting the tank. You can rinse of debris in old tank water during the water change.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/The_Nitro



If the light isn't turning on it could be a fault with the tank and you should check your warranty if the tank is new.How often should I change the filter cartridge, and why won't my light work?Cartridges only need to be changed about once a month.



As for the light. Maybe u got a bad bulb or something.



Good luck =DHow often should I change the filter cartridge, and why won't my light work?catxcatxx is right,you don't need to change the cartridge very often at all,especially with just one fish.It isn't a good idea to change too much of the water,either,because once you have a good balance of friendly bacteria in there,you will disturb it every time you change the water.If you have a good filter and only one fish,you should only need to top off the water as it evaporates.Adding live plants is great for the water and the fish,too.



As for the light,you may have a defective bulb.I would take it back.How often should I change the filter cartridge, and why won't my light work?You only change filter media when it is absolutely falling apart and rotten. Just rinse it in old tank water when you do your partial water changes and put it back. Most of your good bacteria live in the filter or the gravel.



**