Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?

I have a 20 gallon tank, stocked as follows:

1 swordtail

1 molly

1 pleco

2 glass catfish

3 brilliant rasboras

4 ghost shrimp



I'm wondering how often I ought to do water changes (25%). Also, when I do water changes, what do I need to do to make the water safe for my fish? My tap water is extremely hard, and contains lots of chemicals. I have a PUR filter on the tap -- does that make the water safe for fish, or do I have to take other steps?How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?Once a week should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to do an extra every so often. PUR filters will keep the water safe for the fish so long as it's fresh. Otherwise, just grab some dechlorinator and put it in the water before or right after you put it in the tank and it'll be fine.



On a side note, if that Pleco is a Common Pleco, it will outgrow the tank it's in. Common Plecos can get over a foot long. Just some words of caution.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?Change the water once a week for a healthy fish living. There also drops you can buy. Tap water is not safe for your fish.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?Well you should change the water in your tank once a week. Tap water is really hard on fish and on the tank expecially if it is city water because they put a lot of chemicals in it. But there is some stuff you can buy to put in your tank that will get rid of the bad chemicals in your tank water.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?You need to change 10-25% of the water at least once or twice a week. Some tap water is too hard for fish, you might want to run it through your filter into a container and let it sit for 24 hours before changing the water.

Make sure you have a PH and Ammonia testing kit to test the water in the tank and the one you are going to put in.



There are chemicals to help improve the water quality for your fish, but be very careful, some can be more harmful and will wind up killing your fish, especially the ammonia control ones. Best luck.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?Tap water is not safe for fish. The chlorine will kill even goldfish. You can get chlorine neutralizer drops at the pet store or leave the tap water out in buckets for at least 48 hours. If you clean your filter every 2 days, you may only need a 25% change once a month.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?A 25% water change every week to 10 days is great. I have 23 tanks up and running right now and I do 30% every two weeks and every 4 days on the tanks with baby fish (fry) in them. It takes me about 3-4 hours when I buckle down and just do it...



My water is also hard 7.4 pH out of the tap and all I do is add DeChlor drops to remove the chlorine and chloramine that the water company puts in to kill bacteria.



You have a good mix of fish there, I bet it is a good looking active tank. I also have shrimp (6 different varieties). I like the crustaceans.



BTW, a PUR filter does not remove disolved chemicals like chlorine.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?You should do 25% water changes once every 2 weeks. Extremely hard water can be resolved thru peat filtration. You should not use tap water at all as the chlorine in it may kill the fish. However, some pet stores sell dechlorinator.

You should not keep only 2 glass catfish. They will pine away and die. Get at least 5.How often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?I would step the 25% to a 50-70% water changes weekly the cleaner the water the better remember your fish are swimming in thier own feces and urine and with that many fish the waste can add up quick also you can go to your local pet shop and but a dechrinator to make the tap water safe for your fish I would not use any other chemicalsHow often should I do water changes? Is my tap water safe for fish?Once a week is best for the health of your fish. I have two HUGE goldfish that tend to dirty their water 2 days after I clean it....so I clean them every week. Just make sure you add water conditioner, purifier, etc...don't add alot, add whatever the directions say. You can to to the petstore where you got them and ask for cleaning tips also