Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Persistent algae problem with tank water?

I have had a 10 gallon tank for almost a year now. I currently have a Betta, two long finned tetras and two gold algae eaters. (Tank temp-79 degrees, filter changes now every two weeks, tank is NOT in direct sun light.) My problem started in August when I got the gold algae eaters. Someone new at the Aquarium I go to told me to put two algae pellets per week into my tank for my algae eaters. I quit after I noticed the water going green and threw them out. Since then I have done daily 10% water changes for almost a month (per fish store recs) left the light off during this time for the most part, went to 25% water changes about 1-2 times per week after awhile, and even put in a new tank stabilizer for a week (per store recs again). Thought we were getting somewhere, but the minute I stop doing frequent water changes the water starts to turn green within a week or so. I am at a complete loss. I have done EVERYTHING my fish store has told me. NOTHING is working. How dangerous would it be to completely re-cycle my tank??? I cannot stand doing water changes anymore like this to just have nothing work. It' s been 4 months now....come on! SERIOUS, KNOWLEDGEABLE, answers only please. No guessing. Thanks!Persistent algae problem with tank water?If you don't have any live plants in your tank, leave the lights off completely for several weeks. The algae need it to thrive and will certainly die without it. If your tank is no where near direct sunlight you should see improvement. Your fish don't need light and will be fine with the ambient light from the room.



If the water is green, a good way to clear it up is by using willow branches or barley straw. I personally have never tried this but there is plenty of literature about this online.



I would stop using any %26quot;stabilizers%26quot; and chemicals in your water. There are algaecides, but I don't recommend them



Below is a link for the willow branch method. Worth a shot!



Feel free to e-mail me with questions and good luck!