Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I properly perform a partial water change?

At first, I had my new Betta and Tetras (2 of them) in a bowl (for a couple days) then I went to the store and upgraded to a much bigger looking 1 gallon tank with everything they need. They seem really happy but I have two problems:



1. Ever since the change my Betta seems VERY happy, but he's started chasing the tetras. He doesn't bite them, but the Tetras have started backing into corners and hiding. In the bowl, the Betta would only eat his pellets, but now he eats the Tetras flakes as well. Is this because he is more comfortable and is getting territorial?



2. When I've asked previous questions, people told me that without a filter, I'd have to change the water alot more often, but now that I have one I should only have to do a partial water change once a week. I've always done a full water change so how do I do a partial one?How do I properly perform a partial water change?Bettas can be very territorial and aggressive, since he is acting this way, you need to separate the tetras from the betta right away or he is going to kill them.



Get the tetras a 10 gallon minimum, they need more room to swim.



In a 1 gallon tank, filter or not, you still need to change all the water every day or two. Its just too small to expect it to stay clean. I suggest upgrading your tank, and NOT listening to the people who work in pet stores (they don't care if your fish die, because then you have to buy more.) Look up on the internet how to properly set up and care for the fish you want to have. Good luck!