Monday, September 19, 2011

How do you change the filter? Should I wash my whole tank and put the fish right in?

Okay, I had a little incident see Gross!Fish Waste Problem in my Questions.

I decide to change the filter, to do this I plan on turning it off remove the fish, and replace it with a new filter. Then I wash all the gravel/plants and put them back in with Poland Spring water. (They seem to do fine in the spring water)



Am I doing it right?How do you change the filter? Should I wash my whole tank and put the fish right in?To my understanding you were only replacing the cartridge and scrubbing plants, not removing water? Just follow what it says below properly and your tank should be cleaner.

Well you must take out about twenty percent of the water, using a gravel vacuum every two weeks or so. The gravel vacuum removes waste and leftover food from gravel. (Fish removed of course during this.) And then you just replace the missing water with fresh new water. And by changing filter, do you mean the cartridge? If so, a new cartridge should be placed with the old one for about a week. And don't clean the gravel. That way the water has the necessary bacteria. After the week is up, take out the older cartridge.

And don't use tap water! It has chlorine. If you are to use tap water though, dechlorinate it with a conditioner. Or as I recommend, use gallons of drinking water.

Good luck!How do you change the filter? Should I wash my whole tank and put the fish right in?You'll know if they live lol!How do you change the filter? Should I wash my whole tank and put the fish right in?If you need to change your filter then just do that and that alone. Make sure to wash the new filter in only warm water (no soap, cleaners, etc) and then instal it. Do not do any water change as the biologicals that the fish require are in the water that they already know. Water change at least every two weeks, 15-25% of the tank water.How do you change the filter? Should I wash my whole tank and put the fish right in?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Go buy one of those siphons and clean your fish tank. Do not I repeat do not wash the gravel because there is a bacteria that need to be present in your aquarium before you start putting in a bunch of fish.

Remember 1 fish per 5 gallons and add only a couple at a time once your aquarium is ready which will be 4 - 6 weeks.

I have a 55 gallon and change 15 gallons of water every month and the water temperature is the same as the tanks.

I don't even use charcol because I have a bioball system.

Remove chlorine before adding fish. Read about fish before you start throwing all that money away and become pissed off and want to quit the hobby.

Good luck.
  • myspace commentes
  • ittwit
  •