Friday, September 23, 2011

How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?

In my 40 gallon aquarium I have, 4 angelfish (2%26quot;), and 1 gouramis (2 and a half inches).

It has a 50 gallon filter on it.

Also, I have a 30 gallon aquarium with 7 fancy guppies (2 males 5 females). With a normal 30 gallon filter. How often should I change the water on that? If I added another filter would it help me from not changing the water so much?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions I just want to make my fish the healthiest they can be.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?get a test kit... change the water as often as needed to keep the nitrate below 40ppm.

generally it's about 25% once a week using a gravel siphon, but it varies depending on stocking and filtration, so as I said testing you water to figure out exactly when you should be changing and how much you should change would be a good idea.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?Change at least 50% of the water at least once a week. That's true for all your tanks.

This won't shock the fish as long as the new water is close to the same temperature as the old water. Dirty water is the main stresser of aquarium fish.



Adding a new filter or a bigger filter does not let you skip water changes. A well-functioning filter processes ammonia into nitrite and ultimately into nitrate. Nitrate is significantly less poisonous than ammonia or nitrite, but nitrate is still toxic if the levels are high enough. Fish also produce various hormones and peramones, including some that inhibit growth, that should be removed from the water, or at least greatly diluted through water changes.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?The fish you have in your tanks are particulary dirty fish. I do a 10-20% weekly than a 50% roughly every 6 weeks. Your tanks are smaller aquariums so to accomplish a 10-20% change weekly will be a fairly fast and easy process. A one bucket job. I tend to have more filtration than recommended and seem to have more success in keeping healthy fish than some of my friends, but I really attribute it to just supplying them with some clean water weekly. It seems to keep the aggression and stress away more as well.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?You vacuum out the bottom quarter of any tank every 2-3 weeks. You should never change more than half the water in one water change. I just use a little cheap-o vaccum that I use and I just siphon to start the water flow. After you change the water you should use some type of conditioning chemical designed to ready tap water for fish. Adding filters may make the water appear to be cleaner, but it will be unhealthy because fish waste settles at the bottom. Keep the Ph balance at around 7.0 and check ammonia levels. That will encourage healthy fish and breeding. Watch out for those guppies. They breed very fast, but you have a huge tank for 7 guppies.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?i ussualy change the water as it evaporates. so that over a period of a month it has fresh waterHow often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?its best to gravel vac , and change 25% of water once a week, wspecialy with angels, who are large dirty fish that require very clean water, more filtration is great, but angels can not handle too much current, 4 angels in 40 gallons is gonna be quite a lot of mess to keep up with. I had 2 angels in a 55 gallon with a 70 gallon filter and it still wasnt really enough, thats why larger tanks are recomended for large angel fish. if you dont already have one, i would buy a python gravel vacuum. it reduces the time spent cleaning from an hour to like 10 minutes, and no water on the floor.How often should I change the water in my 40 gallon aquarium?I have a 40-gallon tank with four comet goldfish and a pleco in it... Unlike you, though, I have a 55-gallon filter and another 10-gallon filter to make sure the water is particularly clean, because a while back I had a nitrite scare and it inspired me to over-clean my fish's water. :)



I still change about 25% or so of the water once weekly if I can, or once every two weeks if for some reason I'm too busy to get to them when I should... I don't even have a gravel vaccuum and this has been working fine for me for about a year and a half now. Hope this helps!