Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I'm trying to decide if I should change from water bottles to a hydration system when backpacking? Thoughts?

I am returning to backpacking after a 40 year absence. I currently use four nalgene type bottles for my water. Several hikers have suggested I change to one of the new hydration systems? But I'm all confused about which one to go with. And how do I keep my treated water from my untreated, etc. It is all so new to me and it seems rather expensive to %26quot;experiment%26quot; while seeking the right system. I don't use a purification filter because I'm not thrilled with the extra weight. A bottle of Agua Pure seems to do just fine. But between the big bladders and the Platypus bottles and the %26quot;camp water bags%26quot; and other hydration system component choices, I'm throughly confused. And how do you get water from a shallow, slow moving stream into some of those container with such small openings? I now use a small almost weightless cup to fill my 32 oz big mouth bottles.

So how do those of you who use hydration systems handle all you water management on the trail and in camp.

Thanx 4 the help.I'm trying to decide if I should change from water bottles to a hydration system when backpacking? Thoughts?The only advantage of hydration packs is that you're more likely to drink often with a tube hanging in front of you. It'll keep you hydrated and going strong.



I feel that everything else is a disadvantage. They leak, they're hard to fill, and they end up stinky and are hard to clean. Stick with the Nalgene bottles, I think.I'm trying to decide if I should change from water bottles to a hydration system when backpacking? Thoughts?We always use the Camelback. The bladder has a big opening and it is comfortable to carry.I'm trying to decide if I should change from water bottles to a hydration system when backpacking? Thoughts?I've tried the Camelbak brand %26quot;hydration system%26quot; for my long runs (10 to 15 miles) and it works pretty well but I did have a problem with one of the reservoirs leaking. I believe now they have a lifetime guarantee on the reservoirs.



The one I have has an opening about 4 inches so I think you could refill it in astream 6 inches or more deep.I'm trying to decide if I should change from water bottles to a hydration system when backpacking? Thoughts?well i`m with you on ((they r rather expensive to %26quot;experiment%26quot;)) to have larger amounts of water i use water bottles,1.5liter bottles work so well. normall water bottles or even drink bottles like cocacola or pepsi or so.they are cheap%26quot;with almost no price:D , with no taste at all and durable for normal use and u can easily insulate them for heat or cold by wraping them on some insulatin clothing......well thats what i do and i`m fine with it and had no problem at all....any ways take care of your selves and have fun
  • vb
  • cable tv to computer monitor
  •