Friday, September 23, 2011

Why do the plants and accessories in my freshwater aquarium keep turning brown and how do I stop this?

We have a 10-gallon freshwater aquarium that has been set up for over 2 years. We have had the same 4 fish in there for

at least 1 year. I've noticed in the past 2 to 3 months that the

(fake) plants and other accessories keep turning brown. When

I do a gravel sweep/partial water change/filter change, I also

take the plants and other items out to clean because they look

disgusting. I'm wondering if anyone knows what this is or what

is causing it. I test my water and everything seems to be fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!Why do the plants and accessories in my freshwater aquarium keep turning brown and how do I stop this?Sounds like diatoms/brown algae. Here's an article that explains it a bit and causes of it, as well as ways to treat it:



http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/mainte





.Why do the plants and accessories in my freshwater aquarium keep turning brown and how do I stop this?You should take a water sample in to be tested. Well water high in iron will cause that yet, so will a fungus. Both can be treated but with different chemicals. You can also try putting in 2-3 tablespoons of non-iodized salt with every water change. This helps stabilize your water. It will also make your fish have more color. And no, a little salt will not hurt them. Good Luck
  • pink hair
  • advice from vegan
  •