Monday, September 19, 2011

How often should you change the filter cartridge?

I just need to know how often to change the filter cartridge. I know not to remove the carbon part of the filter. I have a filter that uses two cartridges at a time and therefore has two streams of water coming out from it. I have heard that you need to change it every month but I was just looking for a definite answer. will pick best answer.How often should you change the filter cartridge?In my 60 gallon I have 2 60 gallon filters. You're supposed to change he cartridege once every 3-4 weeks, like the water change. However, beneficial bacteria can build up on/in them. You say you have two filter cartridges? What I do is change the left side, wait two weeks, change the right side, wait two weeks, change the left side and so on. This way I'm not removing all the good bacteria that can build up all at once.

You do need to change the carbon though. Unless you reactivate it, (I'm not 100 percent on the actual procedure to do this, but I believe a salt bath is involved), the carbon will %26quot;fill up%26quot;. It does have a max capacity, and needs to be changed to keep optimum water health. I'd change one, wait, and change the other and so on.

Best of Luck!





EDIT:



Ahhh, then yes you are right. The sponge filter should be left in. If it's looking really dirty, rinse in the tanks water, never tap water. This can damage the beneficial bacteria that lives in it.How often should you change the filter cartridge?I recommend checking the filter once a month, and changing it when necessary, such cases as it has rips, wear %26amp; tear, covered in layer of junk, etc. As for the average life of a filter cartridge? Mine usually last me a good 3 Months. They don't need frequent replacing, unless you have quite a bit of activity in your tank.





Also, where'd you get your name? I've heard it before.





EDIT:



A sponge filter? Sorry, I can't help you. I have no experience with sponge filters.



Also, I asked, because a long time ago I thought I made up that name. Anyways...



Sorry, I have no answer.How often should you change the filter cartridge?If it's a sponge filter you shouldn't ever remove it as it will contain lots of beneficial bacteria. Just make sure you rinse it with water from your aquarium when it's looking really dirty.