Monday, September 19, 2011

Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?

I have a PuR water filter on my faucet and change the filter every 30 days. When I make ice cubes they look normal, but when I put them into a class of water they start to shed little white flakes. What are they and how can I prevent them?Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?a PuR faucet filter is not designed to take out the hardness in the water which is resulting in the %26quot;white flakes%26quot; you speak of which are minerals like calcium, potasium, %26quot;rocks%26quot; in general. You will be most happy with an R.O. under-sink filter system for all your drinking and cooking water needs. Of course to really do it right, a so called %26quot;whole-house%26quot; system will include a water softner before the reverse osmosis filter system for your %26quot;working water,%26quot; washing clothes%26quot; (without nearly as much detergent), %26quot;washing your hair and body in the shower,%26quot; with a dime-size spot of shampoo and just a little bar soap, and you will feel silky clean because of no minerals sticking to your skin or hair, and I forgot to mention that you won't need a softner in your laundry because you wash water will already be 100 percent soft. After you get your water softner, try washing one half of a mirror with just plain soft water, and the other half with Windex or your favorite blue window cleaner. Then run your fingers lightly over the two surfaces and see which one is smoother. No %26quot;rocks%26quot; (minerals) on the soft water washed side of the miirror. Find the worst spot you haven't been able to get out of your carpet with any commercial cleaner. Take a washcloth, rinsed in the soft water first, and a little bar soap if you want, and go after that spot. You will see it disappear because there are no minerals in that water to adhere to the dirt in the spot that will otherwise keep it there. I could go on and on with examples, but by now you should see that since so much of your life depends on using water for drinking, washing, cleaning, etc., etc., you can't really depend on a PuR sink water filter to satisfy all your needs. If I were you, I would start out one Saturday and visit three stores that sell soft water systems and the Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) that you need. Like Sears, Lowes, Builders Square, whtever, and make your choice. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars, probably not more than $300 or so, and you'll be set for years to come. You will need to plan on buying sodium chloride (ordinary salt pellets) or potasium chloride if you orefer not to use sodium) in 40 pound bags to clean out your softner automatically on a weekly basis. And you will need to change the filters in your R.O from time to time. Mark you calendar and stick to that schedule. The main filter should last you around five years, the other one or two will need changing every six months or so. Oh yes, your ice cubes will be crystal clear just like the 20 pound bags of commercial ice you have purchased (they use an R.O. to get it that way). Enjoy!Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?From my experience, the water purifier isn't getting the lime deposits completely out.Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?I believe that your filter is not as effective as other types of purification. Reverse osmosis is excellent but wastes water and is more expensive. Distillation is also more effective than the water filters that attach to the faucet. Have a nice day.Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?It's calcium deposits from the water. It's a sign of hard water, and it can clog up your appliances %26amp; small water pipes. Water softeners are used to keep this from happening. It's not a health hazard, but it can mess with your kitchen.Why do my ice cubes shed 'particles' when I put them in my water?You probably have hard water. Also, try washing your ice cube trays once in a while!