Monday, September 19, 2011

Water changes for 3 gallon with whisper 2-10 power filter?

How often should i change the water in my 3 gal tank if it has one male betta in it. I would also like to know how much water to changeWater changes for 3 gallon with whisper 2-10 power filter?It depends on if it is a new set up or if your tank has already gone through the cycling process of ammonia -%26gt; nitrite -%26gt; nitrate by converting bad bacteria into good bacteria. If it hasn't then you will need to do more frequent water changes to help reduce the nitrate levels and because people tend to over feed their fish to start off with so there is more fish waste (their poo) and fish food waste which causes ammonia to spike.

To start of with I normally do a water change a week after starting a new tank to clean it as usually the ammonia level won't have spiked that much yet. Because it's so small you'll probably have to do more frequent water changes as smaller tanks as harder to maintain as the comparison of ammonia concentrate is greater in smaller tanks then in larger ones.

I'd only do 10% of the 3 gallons every few days while the tank is cycling, and push it out to 5-7 days even as you need to give the tank a change to cycle. After that every few weeks should be ok, make sure to test the water parameters weekly and do a gravel clean every few weeks to a month.Water changes for 3 gallon with whisper 2-10 power filter?Well you asked how often you should do them.. I responded to that, and you asked how much water to take out.. I responded to that. I answered every question you you asked so I'm not sure as to how that wasn't quite what you were asking for.. I answered what you asked :)

Report Abuse